Kumbhashyam Temple was built in the 8th century in Chittorgarh of Rajasthan District
Originally this temple was dedicated to Lord Varaha (boar). Maharana Kumbha renovated this temple in the fifteenth century and the idol of Kumbhashyam was installed in this temple. Built in Indo-Aryan style is a wonderful example of architectural craft.
Chittorgarh is named after its most imposing structure, the Chittorgarh Fort which stands atop a 180 metre high hill and is spread across 700 acres.
Chittorgarh Fort has had a tumultuous past. This bastion of the Rajputs has faced violent attacks thrice in its entire history. The first was in 1303 when the Sultan of Delhi, Ala-ud-din Khilji, who was enamoured by Queen Padmini, launched an attack to abduct her. More than two centuries later, in 1533, it was Bahadur Shah, the Sultan of Gujarat, who caused immense destruction. Four decades later, in 1568, Mughal Emperor Akbar attacked and seized the fort. It was finally in 1616, under the rule of Mughal Emperor Jahangir that the fort was returned to the Rajputs.